Board of Evangelism and Social Service fonds

Description

The Board of Evangelism and Social Service was established at the time of Church Union, bringing together Methodist and Presbyterian traditions in the fields of social and spiritual welfare. The duties of the Board as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada were "to give leadership to the Church ... in the promotion of evangelism, the development of the spiritual life and work of the Church and the application of the principles of the Gospel of Jesus to the whole life." This mandate was broadly interpreted over the years, and led to the Board's involvement in care facilities, chaplaincy services, the development of communications strategies, and the establishment of committees and commissions to investigate social and political issues in the areas of war and peace, human rights, poverty, industrial society, health care and welfare. In 1964 the Board became a part of the Division of Congregational Life and Work while retaining its independence of action and leadership. In 1972 the Board was absorbed into the Division of Mission in Canada.

The photograph collection of the Board of Evangelism and Social Service includes images of the Georgetown Armenian Boys.

Please visit Archeion for a description of other material contain in the Board of Evangelism and Social Service fonds.

Images located on this site are intended for research and private study. Please contact the Archives for permission to publish any of the images available on this site.

Recent Items

View all items in collection
Girl #14
1927
83.052P138
Girl #14
1927
83.052P137neg
Boy #109
1927
83.052P136neg
Boy #108
1927
83.052P135neg
Boy #107
1927
83.052P134neg
Boy #106
1927
83.052P133neg
Boy #105
1927
83.052P132neg
Boy #104
1927
83.052P131neg